Get ready for a great experience at the Fall Student Government Summit.
1. Raise money for conference
2. Register for conference
- See conference registration tips to help you save money
- See sample “excuse letter” that your attendees can give to professors so they can miss class to attend this conference (optional)
- See sample delegate contract that each of your attendees should sign (optional)
- See conference attendance form that each of your attendees should sign and have signed by an ASGA representative (optional)
- See sample press release that you can send to your campus and local newspapers, radio, and TV, as well as your institution’s public affairs office (optional)
3. Reserve hotel room(s)
Start at the Hotel page.
4. Purchase airline ticket(s)
If it would take you more than eight hours to drive to this conference, ASGA recommends that you consider flying.
5. Arrange for ground transportation
Orlando does not offer convenient public transportation options. You will need transportation to and from airport, conference location, restaurants, and attractions.
While you can take a taxi ($52-$68), shuttle van ($22-$37 per person), or Uber ($76-$97) from the Orlando International Airport to the conference hotel, ASGA recommends that you get a rental car for additional sightseeing, shopping, and restaurant options in Orlando.
The conference hotel offers a free shuttle that stops at all four Disney parks, as well as SeaWorld and Universal Studios (Contact the hotel for the shuttle schedule).
ASGA has negotiated a discount with Dollar Rent a Car. In order to take advantage of the discounts and benefits, please utilize ASGA Corporate Discount Number: CM0138
Make reservations. Enter the ASGA Corporate Discount number, or call 866-542-2303 ext.2 and use CD#CM0138.
Discounted parking rate is $14 per day.
6. Review and print directions
You can find directions to the conference site at our Directions page.
7. Buy theme park tickets
ASGA discount: Save on Universal Studios tickets! Fill out and return the College Groups Ticket Order Form or go to the Universal Studios Florida Group Sales window at Universal Studios (8 a.m to 5 p.m.) and purchase the tickets to receive the ASGA discount!
Universal Studios Florida. Jump into the action of your favorite movies and TV shows with rides and attractions for all ages. Escape the curse of The Mummy, careen through Krustyland with The Simpsons, and star in a roller coaster music video on Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit.
Universal’s Islands of Adventure. Explore comic books, timeless tales and blockbuster movies as they come to life right before your eyes! Face the dinosaurs of Jurassic Park and enter a land where magic is real at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Hogsmeade.
8. Wear “business casual”
Your attire should be “business casual” at all conference functions.
9. Bring business cards, brochures, and college/university materials
Make sure you bring business cards, brochures, and fliers to exchange with other delegates.
10. Check the local weather
It can be cool in Orlando in November. It will be cool inside the meeting rooms, however. Afternoon thundershowers are common in the Florida fall.
11. Review and print the Conference Schedule
Then you can decide on which workshops to attend and be aware of when the conference starts and ends.
12. Read these conference articles
Responsible Student Government leaders and advisors make sure they get as much as possible from the conferences they attend.
- Make the Most of Conventions
How to save money and use your time wisely
Before jetting off to your next conference, scan this checklist of time and money savers.
- Members Behaving Badly
Mind your manners at conferences
Here are some tips on how to make a lasting, positive impression about the quality of your school’s student leaders while at conferences.
- Getting the Most Out of Conferences
Student Government leaders at the University of North Dakota use their “Homework Sheet” as a networking tool
Do you want to get more out of attending your next leadership conference than just jet lag? Follow the example set by Student Government officers from the University of North Dakota.
- Action Plan for When We Return to Campus
SG Advisor at Illinois State develops tool to take the conference momentum back to your campus
This worksheet will help you develop a plan on how to take back what you learned at this ASGA conference.
- 10 Ways to Be a Good Conference Roommate
Even if you’ve known someone for years, staying together in a hotel can be an awkward – or awesome – experience.
Here are 10 suggestions for making your next conference slumber party the awesome kind.